On June 1, 1878, the Williamstown Baptist Church was organized under the sponsorship of the Elkhorn Association to become the fifth Baptist Church in Grant County.
On June 21, 1890 Williamstown Baptist Church was approved for membership in the Crittenden Baptist Association.
Reverend McDowell was called as first pastor of the new church. The church met in the court house until the completion of first sanctuary built on Mill Street in 1883. In the years that followed the church purchased our present church property and the first service in a second sanctuary was held October 4, 1919.
In 1938 after remodeling of the building was completed with an added portico in front, education wing in rear of building, a new balcony built, and commemorative stained glass windows installed a dedication service was held. These stained glass windows were eventually moved to the back of our present sanctuary when it was built and remain as a reminder of our heritage.
The church continued to grow. In January 1959 seven and one half acres was purchased adjacent to the church property and construction began on new educational space in 1963. The lower level was completed in 1965 and the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary January 24, 1971 while Rev. R.T. Daugherty was pastor. Dedication of the fully completed debt free building was held August 21, 1977 with former pastor Dr. Austin Roberts delivering the dedicatory sermon.
In 1994 the church approved the purchase of the adjacent property on the south side of the present building to the corner of Mill and Cunningham Street including the Baker House on Mill Street and the building facing North Main Street, which at that time housed the Kentucky Department for Human Resources. In September 1999, the front of our present building was renovated by Hemmer Industries. Our church kitchen on the lower level was remodeled in 2006.
On October 4, 2006 the church voted to purchase property at 104 William Arnold Drive to allol(V more space for the street behind the new addition. Additional land on north side was also purchased.
On February 18, 2007 the building plans for new addition to include a new fellowship hall, church office, welcome center, additional class rooms, and new entrance with canopy drive was approved. A ground breaking service was held on May 6, 2007 and was completed in August 2008.
Dedication Weekend was held September 27-28. Saturday was block party style featuring free food, carnival games for children of all ages, tours of the new facility and live music. On Sunday September 28, 2008 there was combined worship service with the official ribbon cutting following the worship with cake and punch being served. Tours of the building were given. We gave God the praise for 254 in Sunday School and 286 in worship that Sunday. In conjunction with completion of the new addition Williamstown Baptist was pleased to be able to host the 150th Annual Meeting of Crittenden Baptist Association in 2009.
A pastorate of twenty-four years began drawing to a close on July 4, 1979, when Rev. Daugherty announced his intention to retire. On November 7, 1979, Williamstown Baptist Church bestowed upon Rev. Daugherty the title of Pastor Emeritus. Pastor Appreciation Day was held on November 25, 1979 in recognition of Reverend and Mrs. Daugherty's continued years of devotion to the Lord and to Williamstown Baptist. During his ministry Williamstown Baptist Church saw our Cooperative Program giving increase and membership reach over six hundred . .Rev. R. T. Daugherty went home to be with the Lord on February 5, 2011. He was a faithful servant, former pastor, and pastor emeritus. He will long be remembered for his commitment and service to Williamstown Baptist Church and his contribution to the construction of the present sanctuary.
God has richly blessed our congregation with longevity. Our church family was able to rejoice with Caroline Ransdell who celebrated her 1001h birthday on November 13, 2010. Mrs. Ransdell has been Sunday School teacher, historian and librarian for several years. Without her we would not have much of the history compiled. Another former member, Mrs. Montana McCormick was blessed with a long life to serve the Lord. She died at age 106.
During the ministry of Bro. R. T. Daugherty a vision was conceived in an adult Vacation Bible School class to construct and manage a retirement complex for the elderly and handicapped. Today this non-profit thirty-four unit complex is known as Parkview Manor. A mission Sunday School class was organized for the residents there in October, 1986 and continues to meet today during the Sunday School hour.
The Baptist Faith and Message